Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lovely, colorful and tasty rice! I have sampled Whole Foods Market offerings, and let me tell you, everything is outstanding!!! Recipe from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashew pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chopped yellow pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces mandarin orange segments, drained well
- In a 2-quart sauce pot, bring the water, orange juice, orange zest, olive oil and salt to a boil, and stir in the rice.
- Cover the sauce pot, and simmer the rice for 25 to 30 minutes, until rice is cooked through and liquid has totally evaporated.
- Empty the orange rice into a large mixing bowl, and add the cashew pieces, peppers and scallions.
- Just before serving, season the rice with the salt and white pepper, and add the drained mandarin orange segments, folding them in gently to prevent the oranges from breaking.
I made this for dinner last night, along with http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Mandarin-Pork-Chops-4143 . The orange flavor came shining through the dish. The cashews added just the right crunch. The only thing that I did differently was not add the scallions, as I didn't have any. Thank you for the recipe, it was enjoyed by all.