Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 mins
This cocoa mix does not use non-dairy creamer as most others. This is a big plus for those who do not usually use creamers. This mix can be made into spiced cocoa mix and also Java mix.
Traditional cocoa mix
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (vanilla or normal)
- 1 pinch salt
Spiced cocoa mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Java cocoa mix
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- Mix all the ingredients in the Traditional cocoa mix.
- I give everything a whizz in the food processor to combine well.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Spiced cocoa mix: To one recipe of the traditional mix, add the spices and mix.
- Enjoy a warming spiced cocoa!
- Java Cocoa: To one recipe of traditional mix, mix in instant coffee powder.
- To make hot cocoa, place 1/4 cup of mix in a mug.
- Stir in 1 cup of boiling hot water.
- Hot mint Cocoa: Steep one mint tea bag in a cup of hot traditional cocoa.
Loving it. We bought some black forest hot chocolate mix when we were in the States, but haven't been able to find it at home, so when I came across some cherry flavouring, I decided to try to duplicate it. I followed the instructions, and added .25 ml of cherry flavouring. I have now made a batch for my brother and sister in law, and one for my parents. I'll be going back to this recipe... the possibilities are endless!
Thank goodness I found this recipe! I cringe when I think of non-dairy creamer and even more when I read the ingredients on the store bought box of hot cocoa mix, so this recipe is exactly what I needed. Super easy and even better when I ran it through the food processor (can also use a blender). I'll be making this again.
I LOVE hot chocolate and this recipe is my first attempt at making my own. I was very pleased with the traditional cocoa recipe and it will probably save me lots of money this winter! I also tried the spiced version and did not like it at all... way too strong. I might try it again whith significantly smaller amounts of the spices.