Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Tastes like a breakfast souffle. The secret for making this fluffy is to separate the eggs. Add other veggies, if you desire. How much of the onion, pepper and chives is your choice. I use a cast iron skillet, so that it can go straight into the oven from range top.
Top Review by Derf
Wonderful light fluffy omelet!! I used orange sweet pepper and red onion cus that's what I had on hand. We couldn't believe how high it rose, wonderful, light and delicious!! The chives were a lovely finish. I will be making this again and often, thanks Caroline for real keeper!!
- 4 large eggs, room temp and separated
- fresh chives, chopped
- green bell pepper, chopped
- yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese, small curd, drained well
- salt and pepper, to taste
- butter-flavored cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks and cottage cheese until well-blended.
- Add Salt and pepper.
- In separate bowl, whisk or, using a hand mixer, beat egg whites until very fluffy, but not dry.
- On medium, heat a small (6") cast iron skillet and spray with butter spray.
- Saute pepper and onion until softened.
- Meanwhile, fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites.
- Immediately pour into skillet and cooks for about 2 minutes.
- Place in preheated oven and bake until puffy.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives to serve.
- Cut into wedges.