Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
I tracked down this recipe 20 years after I left Whitman College in Walla Walla WA. I had never found a veggie burger that matched these. I think it is the baking in mushroom gravy that gives it the wonderful flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal, uncooked
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast, dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- cooking oil, enough for 1/4 inch in pan
- 1 (8 ounce) jar mushroom gravy
- Mix all ingredients, let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Drop into hot oil, and form patties, brown well.
- Patties are soft at 1st, so mold as you fry and be careful flipping them.
- Place on baking sheet, cover with mushroom gravy. Baking will firm them further.
- Bake at 375 degrees, approx 20 minutes. Watch the patties as they will brown quickly.