Recipe by Chef Suz in Bekond
This is a traditional Femish Belgium dish. It is easy and can be prepared in the morning and baked when you get home from work. This and other recipes have been taught to me by my Flemish husband. Enjoy
- 3 Belgian endive
- 6 slices ham (thin slices)
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean endive and cut in half length wise.
- Cut small v-shape into the middle (core) and remove.
- This will help endive cook evenly.
- Sauté endive in olive oil till tender.
- Save pan and drippings.
- Take each endive and roll in one slice of ham.
- Place in a Pam sprayed baking dish.
- Heat pan drippings with 2 cups of milk.
- Add boullion and bring to a boil.
- Thicken with 2 talblespoons of corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons of milk.
- When thick add 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Mix well and pour over endive.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or refrigerate and bake when you are ready.
- In Belgium this dish is served with Belgium (french) fries.