Recipe by SarahBelle9475
I was just recently given a bunch of cooking magazines. this recipe was in 'Cooking With Paula Deen' from food network. it looks amazing. pics coming soon!
- 3 cups sweet white wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 whole clove
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 4 large Anjou pears, peeled and cut in half
- hazelniut ice cream (recipe follows)
- toasted and chopped hazelnuts
- of fresh mint
Hazelnut Ice Cream
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (split in half lengthwise and scraped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 large egg yolks
- 1 (10 ounce) bagshelled hazelnuts, shelled and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine wine, 1 cup sugar, honey, zests, cardamom, clove, and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Generously grease a 13x9 baking dish. Using a melon baller, scoop out center of pears, removing seeds. Place pears, cut side up, in prepared baking dish. Using a pastry brush,evenly coat pears with cooled wine mixture. Sprinkle pears with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until pears are fork tender. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- To serve, place each pear in a mini tart (if desired) and scoop hazelnut ice cream into center of each pear. Repeat with remaining pears (and tarts), and ice cream. Garnish with hazelnuts and fresh mint; if desired.
- serve immediately.
- HAZELNUT ICE CREAM:In small saucepan, combine half and half, sugar, vanilla bean and vanilla. Cook over medium high heat, just until it starts to boil, remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Using ladle, pour 1 cup hot mixture in small, steady stream into yolks, whisking constantly. Add an additional 1 cup of hot cream into egg mixture, whisking to combine. Pour egg mixture into hot milk mixture; cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain mixture into a blender; add nuts. Pulse mixture until nuts are finely ground. Strain mixture into stainless steel bowl; place in a larger bowl filled with ice. Let mixture cool completely, stirring often.
- Pour mixture into container of and electric ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufactures instructions. Spoon ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours for a firmer texture.