Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This bread makes great sandwich bread or toast and my kids have no idea that it isn't just "White Bread"! I usually make the dough in the bread machine and bake it in the oven. It is light enough to slice thinly, if you can wait to eat it and cut cool!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Add ingredients in the order listed to your bread machine, use dough cycle.
- Reshape in loaf form in a loaf pan sprayed with olive oil spray.
- Let bread rise again, by covering with a damp cotten cloth in a warm place.
- Bake at 375 for 33 minutes.
- Remove from pan when hot and rub crust with a cold stick of butter.
- Bake in a greased pan at 375 degrees for 33 minutes.
really really like this recipe - I've tried quite a few and this one is the one I've been making most often. Thanks!
I recently bought a ABM and have been looking for a whole wheat sandwich bread recipe. I just made this one last night, and I like the results. I baked it in the machine on the sandwich cycle. I have one of those not quite horizontal and not quite vertical bread pans, and this made a normal looking loaf. It didn't rise as much as I would have thought, but upon slicing it, it has a nice balance between soft and dense. Perfect for sandwiches. To the other reviewer: If you don't want the whole wheat taste, you don't make a recipe that uses whole wheat flour. LOL. What else would you expect? I like the whole wheat taste, and that is why I tried this recipe.
This isn't bad, but it does taste like wheat bread. Very soft wheat bread, though. Maybe it was my fault because I did the whole thing in the bread maker on sandwich bread setting. It does a have a nice texture for sandwiches, I just thought the flavor was rather bland (and whole-wheaty).