Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was a basic waffle recipe that originally came from the Food Network, courtesy of Alton Brown. I made quite few changes to it and found the perfect recipe for Blueberry Waffles. The white whole wheat flour has a much much milder taste than regular whole wheat flour plus it has the same nutritional value. You will find that these are absolutely delicious.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In medium bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar.
- In another bowl beat together eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Add buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir UNTIL JUST COMBINED. Gently fold in blueberries. DO NOT OVERMIX. Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes. This is very important.
- Ladle batter into waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Top with butter and serve immediately or keep warm in 200 degree oven until ready to serve.
This waffle was simply delicious and very quick/easy to make! One caveat - If this is your first time using a waffle iron, just make sure that you spray it with cooking spray (or brush with vegetable oil) beforehand. The result? Perfect waffles everytime!