Recipe by Engrossed
Inspired by RSC#11 ingredients. Do you like Spinach Artichoke Dip? If you do, you're sure to enjoy this. If you cut up the veggies and shred the cheese ahead it will be quicker to throw together. You could also assemble it the night before and then bake it the next day. I'm sure this would be great with chicken, shrimp or ground beef but I wanted it to be a Vegetarian entry. Go ahead, try it and impress your family and friends.
Top Review by freetrac1spirit
I absolutely DESTROYED my kitchen making this version of lasagna!! It was worth it!! I used whole wheat lasagna noodles and NO FAT cheeses anywhere available. I also used Rosotta instead of cottage cheese. I have a tendency to indulge on spices especially since I don't measure much lol :) This was wonderful!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked
- 3 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (baby bellas)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 shallots, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 cup gouda cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, shredded (3/4 oz)
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 13 3⁄4 ounces water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried sun-dried tomato, chopped kitchen shears work good (1.5oz)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 16 ounces low fat cottage cheese (2 cups)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 3 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Roasted Veggies:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss zucchini, bell pepper and mushrooms with olive oil.
- Spread evenly onto a large baking sheet with 1/2" sides.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Drain liquid.
- While the veggies are roasting, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and saute for about 3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and italian seasoning and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer, stirring often, over low heat for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. You can keep it simmering over very low heat while you finish other prep work.
- Stir together all filling ingredients except the mozzarella.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce across the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.
- Layer one third of the noodles, half of the vegetables, 1 cup of mozzarella, and half of the filling.
- Repeat one third of noodles, half of veggies, 1 cup mozzarella and remaining filling.
- Top with last third of noodles, remaining sauce and last cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 400°F.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.