Recipe by Pot Scrubber
This was my sister's favorite thing to eat when she was growing up. She wouldn't let anyone but me make it for her.
Top Review by Anderson.sara
We are trying to eat healthier and have less meat, so I made this with half smoked tofu (in stuff I swear it's good) and low fat turkey. I also used just a splash of cream and 1% milk. The
- 8 ounces ground beef (browned, crumbled, and drained) or 8 ounces pork sausage (browned, crumbled, and drained)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- purchased refrigerated buttermilk biscuit
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain beef. (I rinse the beef under hot water to remove all of the grease -- it is rich enough!).
- Melt butter in a pan and when melted and lightly sizzling add the flour.
- Whisk until combined and gently simmer the butter/flour mixture for about two minutes to remove the flour/starch taste but don't let it brown any.
- Add the 1.5 cups of milk and quickly whisk until smooth. SImmer until thick over medium heat stirring constantly. It will be quite thick.
- Add the half and half cream and quickly whisk until smooth.
- Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add the beef and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve over good biscuits well buttered.
- This is a very creamy and rich gravy. You may use 2 cups whole milk if you need to omit the cream.
- If it is too thick for your taste -- then dilute with more milk -- but it usually is perfect the way it is written.
- Leftovers are excellent.