Recipe by Pot Scrubber
This is my favorite standard dumpling recipe from the cookbook "White Trash Cooking." This is not a light and fluffy dumpling but more like a noodle, but not really pasta. They hold up well when making homemade chicken and dumplings. This is incredibly easy and I'm still unsure why it works so well but I won't complain.
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Boil water and stir in butter until it is melted, too.
- Remove from heat and pour over flour.
- Mix well.
- Roll out into a 1/8th inch sheet and cut into strips or squares with a knife or pizza cutter. You may need to toss with additional flour to prevent sticking to your cutting board or rolling pin.
- Add raw strips or squares of dough to your chicken and dumpling broth (on a low simmer) for about 10 minutes. Stir once or twice gently every five minutes. No more or they might break apart or become gummy and sticky.