1/6 Photos of White Trash Chocolate Pie
Pot Scrubber's Note:
My mother has been making this recipe for over 20 years. The original recipe comes from the cookbook White Trash Cooking by Matthew Meckler. This has a dense texture and intense almost dark chocolate flavor instead of a creamy pudding type filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs (you just need the yolks)
- 236.59 ml milk
- 88.74 ml cocoa powder
- 59.14 ml hot water (I microwave it for 30 seconds in my measuring cup)
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract (yes... that is a TB not tsp)
- 118.29 ml butter
- 354.88 ml white sugar
- 44.37 ml flour
- 1 unbaked pie shell (I like to use the Pillsbury unroll and bake pie crusts...)
- 1Beat egg yolks with half of the sugar and the melted butter.(melt butter in the micro for about 20 seconds -- you don't want it to be too hot or it will cook the egg yolks when you add it).
- 2Mix the other half of sugar with the cocoa and flour and add the 1/4 cup of scorching hot water. Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- 3Combine the two mixtures and mix thoroughly.
- 4Add vanilla and milk and mix thoroughly.
- 5Don't get upset if mixture seems thin. It will set after baking.
- 6Pour into an unbaked pie shell and cover the edges with foil or a pie ring to prevent the crust edges from browning excessively. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 325. It will still be a little "jiggly" bit it will set up nicely as it cools.
- 7Let cool at room temperature for a couple of hours and then put it in the fridge for a couple of hours to cool good and proper.
- 8Then -- serve well chilled with homemade whipped cream or just be white trash like me and use Cool Whip.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Trash Chocolate Pie
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.4
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 127.7 mg
- Sodium 270.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 37.8 g
- Protein 6.7 g