Not strictly speaking a true tiramisu, but a rum-flavoured, layered sponge cake with mascarpone filling - but whatever you want to call this, it's lusciously lovely! The original recipe (from Pirkka magazine) states this serves 12, but our party of eight finished the cake at one go, and were left yearning for more! I assembled this in a 9" square pan for neater sides, so I had a small piece of the cake left over and used slightly less of the rum and milk mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 225°C Line a cookie sheet with sides (32 cm x 40 cm) with parchment paper.
- 2To make cake: Using a mixer, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3Combine potato starch, all-purpose flour and baking powder in a bowl and sift onto the egg and sugar mixture; stir to combine.
- 4Spread the batter onto the cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes.
- 5Place another sheet of parchment paper on the counter, sprinkle with sugar (1-2 teaspoons) and turn the baked cake onto it. Peel off the paper that was used for baking.
- 6Combine white rum and milk.
- 7To make filling: Chop meringues with a knife. Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Soften mascarpone cheese well.
- 8Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in whipped cream. Stir in softened mascarpone cheese and white rum.
- 9To assemble the cake: Cut the cake in half (not horizontally, just into two pieces!). Place one piece on the serving platter and moisten with half of the rum and milk mixture. Spread half of the filling onto the cake. Sprinkle half of the chopped meringues on top of the filling.
- 10Top with the remaining piece of cake and press down gently. Moisten the cake with the remaining rum and milk mixture and top with the filling.
- 11Put the cake in the fridge and let sit for several hours or overnight.
- 12When ready to serve, sprinkle the remaining meringues on top of the cake and decorate with fresh strawberries and edible flowers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Tiramisu
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.1
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 193.8 mg
- Sodium 116.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: