Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 mins
Not strictly speaking a true tiramisu, but a rum-flavoured, layered sponge cake with mascarpone filling - but whatever you want to call this, it's lusciously lovely! The original recipe (from Pirkka magazine) states this serves 12, but our party of eight finished the cake at one go, and were left yearning for more! I assembled this in a 9" square pan for neater sides, so I had a small piece of the cake left over and used slightly less of the rum and milk mixture.
- 4 eggs
- 150 ml sugar
- 100 ml potato starch
- 50 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 75 ml white rum
- 75 ml milk
- 100 g meringues
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml sugar
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- Preheat oven to 225°C Line a cookie sheet with sides (32 cm x 40 cm) with parchment paper.
- To make cake: Using a mixer, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Combine potato starch, all-purpose flour and baking powder in a bowl and sift onto the egg and sugar mixture; stir to combine.
- Spread the batter onto the cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Place another sheet of parchment paper on the counter, sprinkle with sugar (1-2 teaspoons) and turn the baked cake onto it. Peel off the paper that was used for baking.
- Combine white rum and milk.
- To make filling: Chop meringues with a knife. Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Soften mascarpone cheese well.
- Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in whipped cream. Stir in softened mascarpone cheese and white rum.
- To assemble the cake: Cut the cake in half (not horizontally, just into two pieces!). Place one piece on the serving platter and moisten with half of the rum and milk mixture. Spread half of the filling onto the cake. Sprinkle half of the chopped meringues on top of the filling.
- Top with the remaining piece of cake and press down gently. Moisten the cake with the remaining rum and milk mixture and top with the filling.
- Put the cake in the fridge and let sit for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the remaining meringues on top of the cake and decorate with fresh strawberries and edible flowers.