Recipe by GoldsmithLissa
Allow to sit for 30 minutes before serving. If necessary, refrigerate one filled cake pan while baking the other two cake layers.
- 3 cups sifted cake flour or 2 1⁄2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄3 cups light cream
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 18 ounces white chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and lightly flour three 8x1-1/2-inch or 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar and the vanilla; beat until fluffy. Add the flour mixture alternately with half-and-half to creamed mixture, beating on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined.
- Clean beaters. In another large bowl, beat egg whites on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1 cup sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold the egg whites, about 1/4 at a time, into creamed mixture. (If necessary, transfer mixture into a larger bowl.).
- Divide mixture into prepared pans. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes for 8-inch rounds and about 25 minutes for 9-inch rounds or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean*. Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove the layers from the pans and completely cool on wire racks.
- Frosting: In a heavy saucepan, melt 18 ounces chopped white chocolate baking squares or bars over low heat. Cool until slightly warm. In a large bowl, beat one softened 3-ounce package cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Cut 1-1/2 cups butter into pieces. Add to cream cheese; beat until fluffy. Gradually add cooled chocolate, beating until well blended.
- Frost. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Makes 16 servings.