Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a spin-off of the famous chocolate Texas Sheet Cake. Just as fabulous w/an almondy taste.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- In a large pan bring to a boil 1 cup butter and 1 cup water.
- Remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- Mix the remainder of the ingredients together and pour into a 10x15 cookie sheet pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes until cake is golden.
- Cool 20 minutes maximum before frosting.
- Bring to a boil 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup milk.
- Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar, almond, and nuts.
This would have been delicious if baking powder and baking soda weren't omitted from the recipe! Go find a recipe from another site.
This cake is best made a day or two ahead. It gets better and better! My family LOVES marzipan, and says this tastes like that wonderful almond confection - YUM!
I was worried that this cake was going to be too flat with no baking powder, but it turned out perfect. It is simple, but tastes amazing. The almond flavor was even stronger the next day and tasted great. We will absolutely have this cake again. I didn't have time to make the frosting this time. I just used ready-made frosting. I think it's easy to make variations on this cake like using orange or lemon zest.