Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I asked an Italian girl that I worked with, what a good spaghetti side dish might be. She told me about spaghetti pie, made with eggs, milk, cheese pasta and spices. It sounded pretty good to me so I tried it, with a few add ins. I figured why not put the whole meal in one casserole. This is one of my husband favorites. I have made it with chicken as well. I have also used different types of cheese, whatever I have on hand. Enjoy!!
- spaghetti, cooked al dente
- 1 onion, cut into slivers
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, halved
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thinly
- 1 broccoli spear, cut into small florets (peel stalk and cut into 1/2 inch coins)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs Italian sausage, cooked (hot or sweet as you like it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Cook 3 servings spaghetti al dente, drain and set aside.
- In large skillet saute sausages until just cooked. I let them cool and peel the casings off, then cut them into 1/2 inch coins.
- Return sausage to the skillet and add garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, Italian seasoning, olive oil, salt and pepper, saute 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, saute 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli and celery, saute 2 minutes.
- Add onion, saute 2 minutes.
- Turn off burner cover and let sit until egg milk mixture is ready.
- Quickly beat eggs and milk together.
- In greased 9X13 inch glass pan layer 1/2 the vegetable meat mixture, then 1/2 the pasta, repeat.
- Pour the egg mixture over the whole thing and top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 325 until bubbly, let stand 10 min before serving.
We really liked this, it was filling and tasty. It was different than the spaghetti pies I have had before, but in a good way. You don't get Italian sausage here, so I substituted with ground pork and Recipe #178446 Seasoning for Ground Pork (Italian-Style Sausage). Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring 2014.
Thanks Cathie for posting. This is a really unique spaghetti pie. I have never had a white one before but I had leftover spaghetti, eggs, cheese, veggies, and some spices in the pantry and thought why not try it. I left out the pepper flakes due to family preference so it was mild. The kids and my husband all enjoyed it. The cheese didn't cover the whole top so there were noodles that got hard and the family didn't like that so make sure that the cheese is evenly distributed across to avoid it. Thanks for sharing and letting us in on this twist on spaghetti pie. Chef DLH