Recipe by Cathie H.
I asked an Italian girl that I worked with, what a good spaghetti side dish might be. She told me about spaghetti pie, made with eggs, milk, cheese pasta and spices. It sounded pretty good to me so I tried it, with a few add ins. I figured why not put the whole meal in one casserole. This is one of my husband favorites. I have made it with chicken as well. I have also used different types of cheese, whatever I have on hand. Enjoy!!
Top Review by Tea Girl
We really liked this, it was filling and tasty. It was different than the spaghetti pies I have had before, but in a good way. You don't get Italian sausage here, so I substituted with ground pork and Recipe #178446 Seasoning for Ground Pork (Italian-Style Sausage). Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring 2014.
- spaghetti, cooked al dente
- 1 onion, cut into slivers
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, halved
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thinly
- 1 broccoli spear, cut into small florets (peel stalk and cut into 1/2 inch coins)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs Italian sausage, cooked (hot or sweet as you like it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook 3 servings spaghetti al dente, drain and set aside.
- In large skillet saute sausages until just cooked. I let them cool and peel the casings off, then cut them into 1/2 inch coins.
- Return sausage to the skillet and add garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, Italian seasoning, olive oil, salt and pepper, saute 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, saute 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli and celery, saute 2 minutes.
- Add onion, saute 2 minutes.
- Turn off burner cover and let sit until egg milk mixture is ready.
- Quickly beat eggs and milk together.
- In greased 9X13 inch glass pan layer 1/2 the vegetable meat mixture, then 1/2 the pasta, repeat.
- Pour the egg mixture over the whole thing and top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 325 until bubbly, let stand 10 min before serving.