Recipe by SmHerndon
For use in my Vegetable Melange Au Gratin recipe (#111644). Great for vegetables, omelets, souffles. For a richer white sauce, substitute light cream for milk, omitting salt. Can be made thinner for soups.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat, blend in flour, salt and dash white pepper (black is fine).
- Add milk all at once, cooking quickly, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove sauce immediately upon bubbling.
- CHEDDAR SAUCE add 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (makes 1 1/2 cups).