Recipe by Neaner
This is a basic white sauce that can be used for pasta or vegetables. Add your favorites for lasagna, and it's great! This can also be used as a cream soup base.
Top Review by DanaJoy!
Wonderful. I made a few changes based on personal preferences. Like a couple of reviewers before, I subbed olive oil for margarine. I also cut the parmesan cheese in half and grated some asiago cheese into the mixture. This is wonderful. A definite once in awhile, unhealthy splurge. Yum. I used cheese tortellini. Bacon or pancetta would be good sprinkled on top. Oh, I forgot. I added a half tsp onion powder.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and margarine in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir.
- Add milk and cream, stir.
- Mix together broth and cornstarch add to saucepan.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil one minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add salt, spices and cheese.