Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great for OAMC. Take these out of freezer and use them to make a white sauce or a cheese sauce.. You can add anything you would like to your basic cheese sauce and you can have a quick dinner in just minutes. I use more salt but that is a personal preference so be sure to taste your sauce and adjust salt to your taste.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Using mixer or food processor add butter to the flour mixture and pulse or mix until mixture is smooth.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a waxed paper lined baking sheet.
- Place into freezer until balls are frozen.
- Remove from freezer and place into freezer bags label and store in freezer for up to 6 months. Recipe makes 28 Butter Balls.
- To make a white Sauce:.
- In a small saucepan combine butter balls (slightly thawed for a few minutes)and 1 cup milk.
- Use a whisk to crush the butter ball.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture is smooth ans slightly thickened.
- This will make about 1 cup of white sauce.
- Thin Sauce: use 1 Butter Ball.
- Medium Sauce: use 2 Butter Balls.
- Thick Sauce: use 3 Butter Balls.
- Creamy Rich Sauce: Substitute heavy cream for the Milk.
- Cheese Sauce: Add 1 cup Cheddar Cheese to a medium sauce and stir until cheese melts.
I have always made a white/cheese sauce or gravy with flour salt, white pepper and margarine. What a fantastic idea!! I mixed this and then put in small compartment ice trays and froze. Wrapped on the counter once or twice, popped right out and then I put in freezer bags. I might add this is also a wonderful base to thicken soups especially bisque soups. Thanks so much for posting.
These are a great time saver or recipe saver! I made up a batch and pull one out of the fridge if I need to thicken something or to start a white sauce. Really good idea. Thanks Bunlady!