Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A feather-light chiffon pie with a coffee flavor. This one is too fussy for me, but mom wants to try it.
- 1 (9 inch) nutty graham cracker pie crust, # 140555 (refrigerated)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup cold strong brewed coffee
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- chocolate-covered coffee beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sugar and egg yolks in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water.
- Heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; whisk in bourbon; remove insert from the double boiler and set the custard aside to cool.
- When the custard has cooled, pour the coffee into a small bowl; sprinkle the gelatin over the coffee; set aside for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the coffee mixture to a small saucepan and gently heat, whisking until the gelatin has dissolved, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually whisk into the custard mixture.
- Scrape the custard into a large bowl and refrigerate, whisking every few minutes.
- As soon as you refrigerate the custard, using a chilled bowl and chilled beaters, beat the cream using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form.
- Add in the Kahlua and vanilla and beat briefly.
- Add in the powdered sugar and beat briefly again, until stiff but not grainy.
- As soon as the refrigerated custard shows signs of thickening, remove it from the refrigerator and whisk in about 1/2 cup of the whipped cream until smooth.
- Add the remaining whipped cream in 2 parts, gently folding the mixtures together until evenly combined.
- Transfer the filling into the chilled pie shell, smoothing the top.
- Cover with loosely tented foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with chocolate-covered coffee beans before serving.