Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is almost as easy as using a rice cooker, and you won't need an extra appliance crowding up your kitchen. My ex discovered this when our rice cooker broke one day and we tweaked it until it was just right. I have kids so I like to cook a week's worth all at once. If you want to cook less, use at least a minimum of 2 cups and keep cook time the same. Quinoa can be made the same way, but use a ratio of one cup Quinoa to 1.5 cups water.
- Measure out 5 cups of rice into a stainless steel pot big enough to allow for expansion.
- Quickly rinse rice (fill pot an inch above the rice with tap water, swish around with fingers, and dump out as much excess water as you can without spilling) once or twice. Don't strain the rice.
- Pour 5 cups of water into pot.
- Put on burner and cover with lid.
- Turn burner dial to a little below medium heat (I turn mine about a centimeter below the medium mark).
- Set timer to 30 minutes.
- Once timer rings, remove from heat, turn off burner and let sit at least 5 minutes.