Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
For Zaar World Tour II - Asia/India (Kahsmir). Recipe source: Bon Appetit (April 1986)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup daikon radish, peeled and sliced thin (Japanese white radish)
- 1 serrano chili, halved and seeded (or other hot green chili)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spread walnuts out on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes (or until toasted). Turn oven off but let walnuts sit in oven for another 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree radish and chili using on/off turns.
- Add walnuts and salt and puree.
- Add vinegar.
- Remove from processor to a covered bowl and refrigerate.
I've never had a chutney liked this before, and I liked it. It complimented the lentils, rice and caramelized onions that I served it with very well. I did not find it very spicy at all, but the radish flavor really came through after sitting in the fridge for a while.
Very intersting recipe. I had some radishes in my house and I was curious of what I could do with it that would be diffrent, and this fit the bill. Was quite spicy, a bit to spicy for my mom but I enjoyed it enough for both of us lol.