Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Have you ever been to a mexican restaurant or burrito joint and tried that tasty white cheese dip? After much experimentation, I finally have a recipe that is on par with the cheese dip you can get there, and you're sure to love it too. This beats anything you can buy prepackaged in a store! If you do not have a double boiler, you can improvise by using a metal mixing bowl over a saucepan.
- 1 lb white American cheese (from deli, get a good brand)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 dash chili powder
- In a double boiler on low heat (enough to keep a gentle boil), add the cheese and some of the half and half.
- Stir mixture until cheese begins to evenly melt, adding half and half to result in the consistency you desire. (It should be thin enough to flow well, but thick enough to stay on a chip).
- Add diced jalapenos to mixture, according to your preference. If they are from a jar, add a teaspoon or two of the juice as well.
- Begin to add the spices. Start with the cumin and black pepper. Add red pepper gradually, tasting along the way. A little goes a long way, so be sure you don't make it too hot. I use a bit more than 1/4 tsp, you may use more or less.
- Add a pinch of chili powder, and serve hot with tortillas or chips.
- Leftovers can be microwaved (add more half and half or water to keep consistency). Don't worry about yellowing from day to day (due to spices/cheese), it will be good for 4-5 days.
Why oh why have I purchased more expensive Mexican cheeses when good old White American works better???! This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Made for Fall Pac 2011.
I recently found a recipe very similar to this; praise be that someone figured out it was AMERICAN cheese. Who'd a thunk it? Not I. I followed this recipe, as written, except I reduced it by half. We proceeded to scarf it down. Next time, NO halfsies. This is pretty much perfect, if you love the cheesy dipping sauce at your closest mexican joint. Thanks so much for sharing, Dr. Harris!
This was enjoyed by all! I too have made several other quesos using Mexican cheese. This one with white American was perfect. I used fat free half-and-half. It thickens up quickly when it starts to cool, so I need to remember that and add a bit more half-and-half.