Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My brother loves me to make this potato salad for him. He even offers to pay me if I make it for him when he's entertaining guests! All of our friends, and family love it too. They all think they won't, because there's no mustard, until they try it, and then, they're hooked! I hope t he amounts are accurate. This recipe could be used with mustard instead of vinegar, but the sugar wo uld have to be cut in half or more. It would probably take about a half cup of mustard. I would just add it until it tasted right! It is difficult to give measurements, when you never use them. :-) Please let me know how it turns out for you! The yield and time may not be precise; I just gave it my best guess.
- 6 -8 cups cooked, cubed potatoes (boiled with jackets on, and peeled)
- 1 whole onion, chopped (any kind, but red onions are probably the best to use)
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, diced up
- 8 small sweet gherkins
- 3 cups Miracle Whip (yes, Miracle Whip!)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Boil Whole potatoes until a fork will easily slide in and back out with no resistance at all.
- Lay out on counter for an hour or so to cool nicely.
- Peel, and cube.
- I usually do this with no recipe, so I have estimated the amounts as closely as possible.
- While potatoes are cooking, mix together, the Miracle Whip, Vinegar, Sugar, and Salt, and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, mix together, the onion, celery, eggs, sweet pickles, and potatoes.
- Add miracle whip mixture a little at a time, until it seems the right consistency for potato salad.
- You may have some mix left over, but don't throw it out.
- After refrigerating a while, the potatoes will absorb a lot of the mixture, and you may need to add more.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- It may taste salty until after it's refrigerated a while.
- If you like more salt, or sour (vinegar), you may adjust recipe accordingly.
- Just add a little at a time to the finished product, of vinegar, or salt, and mix, until it tastes right to you.
- The same applies if you like it sweeter.
I made this potato salad today, and I have been trying to find a recipe similar to my mother-in laws potato salad recipe, look no further, I have found it!!!! I don't like gerkins so I left them out, but very easy to make. My husband will be so happy that I have perfected his mother's potato salad! Very tasty!
Had these 2 nights ago for a family barbecue, (my son in law loves Potato Salad) I didnt leave the jackets on the potatoes just boiled the normal way. The pickle added gave this salad the 'right' zip. Thanks for posting. =)
This is wonderful! I don''t like eggs, so I left those out and instead of pickles I used sweet relish. Thank you for sharing this recipe!! :)