Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was shared with us from some dear friends. My husband and her husband served in the same National Guard unit in Utah. We spent a Thanksgiving with them and this was one of the outstanding salads she prepared.
- 85.04 g envelope unflavored gelatin
- 59.14 ml cold water
- 59.14 ml hot water
- 236.59 ml walnuts, chopped
- 226.79 g cream cheese, softened
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 566.99 g can sweetened crushed pineapple
- 226.79 g Cool Whip
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water.
- Add hot water.
- Cream the cream cheese, lemon juice and sugar.
- Drain pineapple. Add to cheese mixture. Stir in gelatin.
- Add walnuts.
- Let stand 10 minutes then fold in cool whip.
- Refrigerate until time to serve.
This salad fell a bit flat for us. I think mostly it was the texture which seemed cloud-like (very airy). I thought with the addition of the cream cheese it would have a more substantial flavor and texture.
Oh, my this is so wonderful. I think that I could eat the whole bowl myself, and it makes a big bowl. I love the combination of the cream cheese and Cool Whip. The walnuts are a good addition to the salad, too, especially since walnuts are a lot less expensive in my area than pecans. This would be wonderful for Thanksgving or Christmas dinner. It would also make a nice dish to take for a pot luck dinner, I will keep this in mind for that.
Yes! This is a nice salad or dessert! Hubby doesn't care for cream cheese but he didn't know it in this recipe and my little secret is that most of the time I can sneak in a little cream cheese or sour cream and he doesn't know it. He loved this! Will make again. Thanks for posting!