Recipe by Blanket Girl
This is a simple recipe idea I came up with, being a single mom-to-be, a college student, and a member of the full-time workforce. It makes a BIG (for one person), delicious pot of versatile food, and it's so economical. Make sure to use WHITE pepper, it makes all the difference in flavor. Not in the recipe as I posted it, but strain the drippings to make a knock-out gravy!
- 1 (2 lb) fryer chickens, washed,giblets removed
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water in bottom of slow cooker.
- Peel and quarter onion, place in crock pot.
- Place sliced garlic and 1 bay leaf in Mr.
- Fryer's well-rinsed cavity.
- Place fryer BREAST SIDE DOWN in slow cooker.
- Combine white pepper, rosemary, marjoram, and salt (if desired).
- Sprinkle evenly over fryer.
- Slice butter and tuck a pat under each wing, place slices of butter everywhere else on the top-side surface of the bird.
- Place remaining bay leaves around bird to add flavor.
- Set cooker on LOW for a minimum of 8 hours, finish off during last hour or so with remaining tsp. of white pepper.
- This is great with rice or potatoes, in wraps or sandwiches, or by itself!
- Don't forget about making stock with the leftover carcass.