1/1 Photo of White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Adapted slightly from "Maida Heatter's Cakes," this cake is unusual and very tasty! Source: Detroit News - adapted slightly from "Maida Heatter's Cakes."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set an oven rack a third of the way up from the bottom and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Thoroughly butter a 10- to 12-cup Bundt (fluted) pan, even if it has a nonstick finish, and include all the crannies of the fluting and the center post; dust all, including the center tube, with fine, dry bread crumbs; invert and tap to shake out excess crumbs; set aside.
- 3Finely grate the zest of the two lemons; juice the lemons, putting 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice in a cup with the lemon zest; set the rest of the juice aside;add the fresh ginger to the zest-juice mixture and set aside.
- 4Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and pepper; set aside.
- 5In the large bowl of the electric mixer, beat the butter until it is soft; add 13/4 cups of the sugar and beat about 1 minute; add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6With the mixer at low speed, add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk (starting and ending with the flour).
- 7Stir in the lemon-ginger mixture; taste and add more pepper and/or ginger if desired, stirring well; the full amounts of ginger and pepper might be too hot for some folks- if you suspect you're among them, start small and taste a bit of the batter; you can always add.
- 8Pour and scrape into the prepared pan; Smooth the top by twisting the pan sharply back and forth once.
- 9Bake 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- 10While the cake is in the oven, add to the set-aside lemon juice enough to total 1/3 cup; combine with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- 11When the cake comes out of the oven, let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 12Cover with a rack, invert and remove the pan; put the rack and cake over a plate or sheet of waxed paper or foil to catch drips of glaze.
- 13Stir the glaze mixture and brush it all over the cake, including the inside of the center hole; let stand until cool.
- 14Use two spatulas to transfer the cake to a serving plate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.5
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 250.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 5.8 g