Recipe by English_Rose
On a cold winter's day, try this recipe for a rich, tasty onion soup, garnished with croutons and cheese.
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large onions, finely sliced
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 quarts chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the garnish
- crouton, for sprinkling
- freshly grated gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy-based saucepan heat together the butter and olive oil until the butter has melted.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic and fry gently over low heat for 10 minutes, until the onion, celery and garlic has softened.
- Add the white wine, increase the heat and cook briskly until the wine has reduced by a third.
- Add the bay leaf, bouquet garni, parsley, stock and salt. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently, partly covered, for 2 hours.
- Soften the butter in the oil add the vegetables and cook gently until soft.