Recipe by Sweet Southern Bell
Very Good. Recipe from a friend.
Top Review by Rachel Castle
WOW! I made these yesterday and they were soo good. I didn't add the cayenne, and forgot the green onions for garnish. It didn't matter they were still the best Navy Beans we've ever had. I did use a smoked honeybaked ham bone and some meat from it. Also, I did not puree the mixture. Truely a keeper recipe. Thanks for posting. Rachel Castle
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 2 slices smoked ham, one inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion top, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash beans and cover with water two inches over top; soak overnight.
- Add ham, onion, garlic and celery; bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour, [ Additional water maybe added if mixture is too thick.]
- Puree mixture in food processor or blended; return to pot and season to taste with salt, peppers.
- Add green onion tops and serve in soup bowls.