Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Can be used in Vegetable Melange Au Gratin, or over any side dish or omelet that would benefit from a lightly Cheddar, elegantly colored sauce. "Easy Method" listed below.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat, blend in flour, salt and dash white pepper (black is fine).
- Blend milk and soup in bowl.
- Add milk and soup all at once, cooking quickly, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove sauce immediately upon bubbling.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese.
- EASY METHOD: Combine 1 can soup, 1/3 cup milk; heat- Add 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese; stir until melted.