Recipe by SilentCricket
A wonderfully light, fluffy frosting that is sure to compliment any cake, from the pages of my Betty Crocker cookbook! Take a look at the variations too! (Prep time and cook time are guesstimates). for two 8-9" layers or one 13 x 9" cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in small saucepan.
- Cover; heat to rolling boil over medium heat.
- Remove cover and boil rapidly, without stirring, to 242 F on candy thermometer.
- As mixture boils, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Pour hot syrup very slowly in a thin stream into the beaten egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed.
- Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla during last minute of beating.
- VARIATIONS: Add 1/4 cup sifted cocoa for Cocoa Frosting, folding in till blended; for Lemon Frosting substitute 1 TBSP lemon juice for the vanilla and add 1/4 tsp.
- grated lemon peel and 10 drops of yellow food coloring; for Pink Mountain Frosting, sustitute maraschino cherry juice for the water; for Satiny Beige Frosting substitute brown sugar (packed) for the granulated sugar and decrease vanilla to 1/2 tsp.