Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A wonderfully light, fluffy frosting that is sure to compliment any cake, from the pages of my Betty Crocker cookbook! Take a look at the variations too! (Prep time and cook time are guesstimates). for two 8-9" layers or one 13 x 9" cake
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in small saucepan.
- Cover; heat to rolling boil over medium heat.
- Remove cover and boil rapidly, without stirring, to 242 F on candy thermometer.
- As mixture boils, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Pour hot syrup very slowly in a thin stream into the beaten egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed.
- Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla during last minute of beating.
- VARIATIONS: Add 1/4 cup sifted cocoa for Cocoa Frosting, folding in till blended; for Lemon Frosting substitute 1 TBSP lemon juice for the vanilla and add 1/4 tsp.
- grated lemon peel and 10 drops of yellow food coloring; for Pink Mountain Frosting, sustitute maraschino cherry juice for the water; for Satiny Beige Frosting substitute brown sugar (packed) for the granulated sugar and decrease vanilla to 1/2 tsp.
Easy easy! And has that oh so smooth texture. Wonder how easily it doubles?
My favorite frosting recipe! My family loves it with chocolate cake, but so good with a moist white cake, sprinkling the frosting with angel flake coconut. A VERY SPECIAL cake is the haupia cake listed on recipezaar. Try it with this frosting and the coconut!
I love this frosting, but it doesn't last long. Eat it within the first day because the frosting doesn't keep its original form for too long. Pair with the Black Midnight Cake. http://www.recipezaar.com/Black-Midnight-Cake-185770