Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Fun for Halloween! Plan ahead the baked ghosts need to sit in oven after baking for a minimum of 8 hours to firm up.
- 6 egg whites, room temperature (save the yolks for another recipe)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- mini chocolate chip
- string licorice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy.
- Gradually add in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time beating until stiff peaks form and the sugar is dissolved (3-4 minutes).
- Add in almond extract, beat until combined.
- Spoon the meringue mixture into a zip-top plastic bag, then snip a small hole into one corner.
- Pipe into ghostly shapes onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Add the mini chocolate chips for the eyes.
- Cut the licorice into 2 pieces.
- Firmly pinch ends together.
- Insert 1 in the top of each ghost for a hanger.
- Bake in a 200°F oven for 2 hours.
- Turn the oven off and let the meringues stand in closed oven for 8 hours.
- Hang where desired.