Recipe by cfletcher
Tonight I just couldn't get my act together for dinner! Came home and thought that I would have a quickie dinner - Mac and Cheese. No problem. OK...soon discovered there was a problem when I had no Mac...so off to the store I went to buy macaroni. Came home, boiled the water and macaroni and started the sauce. No milk ...or at least not enough....and no chicken bouillon. What to do? Triumph! A new Mac and Cheese recipe was born....so come share it.....it turned out surprisingly great! You can substitute chicken flavouring for the vegetable. I used what I had in the fridge....in fact I'll put this one up against my regular mac and cheese any day !
Top Review by cyaos
This was a good macaroni and cheese that gets extra points for being easy to put together! I did add a whole teaspoon of dry mustard for some extra kick. It tasted quite a bit like the fondue cheese that we always make. Thanks for posting!
- 450 g macaroni (1/2 package)
- 4 -5 cups boiling water
- 2 cups extra old white cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 cup milk
- 1 (4 1/2 g) packetvegetable flavoring (I used Bovril packet)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a rapid boil.
- Add salt to the water for taste.
- Add the macaroni and cook until it is very tender - 10 - 15 minutes.
- While the macaroni is cooking, heat a sauce pan on medium.
- Add the margarine/butter to melt.
- When melted add the flour and whisk until it is blended.
- Add the milk (1-2 cups as needed), white wine, vegetable flavouring and dry mustard.
- Whisk until it has thickened.
- Add the shredded cheese.
- Whisk them all together and turn off heat.
- Drain the macaroni when tender, add it to the sauce, add salt and pepper to taste -- and enjoy your comfort food !