Recipe by ellie_
(The Best of Finnish Cooking)Prep time includes 2 rises.
Top Review by Mike McCartney
I think is great white bread! I did use only 1/2 teaspoon of salt, but otherwise did exactly as instructed. I think I will try baking it in a loaf pan next time, but it is awesome anyway. Thank you so much.
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 -2 1⁄4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissove the yeast in warm water.
- Stir in saslt, sugar and butter.
- Beat in the flour.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with towel or plastic wrap and let rise until double (1 1/2-2 hours) Punch down.
- On a floured board shape it into a round loaf.
- Cover with a towel and let rise (45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Pat the loaf down with hands.
- Using hands or rolling pin stretch it onto round flat sheet about 1/2 inch thick.
- Starting with one side roll it into a loaf.
- Place it seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife, cut 1/2 inch slash from one end of loaf to the other.
- Bake in oven until browned and loaf is done about 25 minutes.