Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
(The Best of Finnish Cooking)Prep time includes 2 rises.
Make and share this White Loaf recipe from Food.com.
- Dissove the yeast in warm water.
- Stir in saslt, sugar and butter.
- Beat in the flour.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with towel or plastic wrap and let rise until double (1 1/2-2 hours) Punch down.
- On a floured board shape it into a round loaf.
- Cover with a towel and let rise (45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Pat the loaf down with hands.
- Using hands or rolling pin stretch it onto round flat sheet about 1/2 inch thick.
- Starting with one side roll it into a loaf.
- Place it seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife, cut 1/2 inch slash from one end of loaf to the other.
- Bake in oven until browned and loaf is done about 25 minutes.
I think is great white bread! I did use only 1/2 teaspoon of salt, but otherwise did exactly as instructed. I think I will try baking it in a loaf pan next time, but it is awesome anyway. Thank you so much.
This is a good, basic bread recipe. The inside is very light and airy and the outside has a crispy crust. I did have some problems with the flour amount. I had to add at least an additional cup of flour to be able to handle it. Using the given amount, the dough looked almost like a batter. Of course, humidity may have something to do with this, so I would suggest adding 1/4 cup additional flour at a time. Other than that, followed to a "T"...thanks for sharing.
Yum! An excellent bread. I made this through the first rise in my bread machine, then rose a second time in a stoneware bread pan, and baked at 400F for between 25 and 30 minutes. I also needed to add more flour, the dough was just too wet not to. I added a little more than 1/2 cup, just enough to get from batter to dough. It was still sticky, which was fine, I just oiled my hands well before punching it down and shaping it. The texture of the finished loaf was crunchy on the outside, light and airy on the inside. It also had just a touch of sweetness that I just love. I had this for lunch today with just a slice of cheddar cheese on it- nothing else was needed. Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe! Made for ZWT6.