Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Belinda Ellis, White Lily
- 1 1⁄2 cups white lily all-purpose flour
- 1 cup three rivers cornmeal mix or 1 cup white lily cornmeal mix
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, chilled cut in pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white lily all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup fresh raspberries or 1⁄2 cup sliced strawberry
- 1⁄2 cup red currant jelly (optional)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan with foil and lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- In food processor combine flour, cornmeal mix, sugar and butter.
- Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Press into to pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned on edges.
- While baking, prepare filling: In food processor combine sugar and flour.
- Add lemon zest, and process until fine.
- Add juice and eggs, process until smooth.
- Pour in crust and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan.
- Combine berries.
- If making a flag design do not glaze the fruit.
- If topping the bars completely and a glaze is desired, heat red currant jelly until it melts and pour over the berries.
- Toss lightly to coat.
- Sift confectioners sugar over the cooled lemon bars.
- Top with berries.
- Chill 4 hours before serving.
- Makes 24 bars.