Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My family's favorite chili. I always make it the day after Thanksgiving to use up some of the leftover turkey. It is equally good using leftover chicken. My family loves this ladled over a slab of corn bread and then topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese! This chili is very robust...hope you enjoy it!
- 1 lb dried navy beans or 1 lb any dried white bean, rinsed and soaked overnite
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 cups cooked turkey or 5 cups cooked chicken
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- Drain the beans and put in large stock pot. Add all other ingredients, cover and simmer for two to three hour or until beans are tender.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack cheese if desired.
Great chili - and great use of the Thanksgiving bird! I have made a similar recipe from Southern Living with chicken but find that it is wonderful with turkey. My family likes to garnish it with shredded cheese and sour cream. My co-workers are always asking me to bring this to work and to write the recipe out for them. Now I'll just direct them to your recipe ;). Thanks Caretta!