This recipe's from my distant cousin. She made this during our family reunion. This is a tweaked version that has some meaty pinto beans and some chipotle chili powder running through it to give it some nice smokiness. Don't worry about the amount of spices. It may seem like a lot, but in the end, it's really not. Preparation time does not include the time you cook the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (about 1 turn of the pan)
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (through the garlic press or through your knife)
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chilies, undrained
- monterey jack cheese, Sour Cream, Tortilla chips, and fresh Cilantro, for garnish
- 1Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and saute 5-6 minutes.
- 3While sauteeing, add a pinch of kosher salt and a little fresh cracked pepper (just to give the onions a little chance.).
- 4Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.
- 5Add chicken broth, the navy beans, the pepper, the oregano, the cumin, and the chipotle chili powder.
- 6Mash the can of pinto beans with a potato masher.
- 7Stir into the soup.
- 8Stir in chicken and chilis.
- 9Simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 10Garnish, and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Lightning Chili
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.4
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 325.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.4 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 17.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: