Recipe by Miss Annie
I can't remember where I found this recipe, but it sounds so good. I have not made this recipe.
Top Review by Keno Kay
This recipe was really different. Not the "same old" stuff. Served it on X-mas morning and everyone loved it. I made it the night before, as it states in the directions. I will make it again. It was very easy. It reminded me of bread pudding. The cherries and the walnut topping made it delish! Keno Kay
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread
- 4 cups frozen cherries (rinsed and drained)
- 7 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the loaf of white bread into cubes.
- Place the cubes into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Spread the cherries over the bread.
- Cut ten 1-inch slices of French bread, place the slices over the cherries.
- Beat the eggs well, add the milk, sugar, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and beat again.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the French bread slices.
- To the melted butter add the brown sugar, corn syrup, and walnuts.
- Spread this topping on the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes.
- Cover with foil for the last 15 minutes to keep it from getting too brown.
- Let set for about 10 minutes before slicing into 10 servings.