Recipe by KtGin
This recipe actually is a casserole, but if you add extra water and don't drain the beans, then it makes an excellent soup. We've only eaten it as a soup. If you don't have fresh tomatoes and peppers on hand, you can use Ro*tel Mild, and it gives the same flavor. It's also versatile in that you can use green, yellow, red, or orange bell peppers and you can also use Northern beans instead of white kidney beans.
Top Review by Lucy
Very good and easy to make. I used Polish sausage, Ro-tel tomatoes with green chilis and northern beans and chicken broth instead of water. I thought the tomatoes gave it a little kick.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use olive)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs smoked sausage or 2 lbs Polish sausage, sliced into bite size pieces
- 3⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 45 -48 ounces white kidney beans (*DO NOT drain)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I often use more because I like the flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and cook sausage and onion until tender.
- Stir in garlic powder, tomato, and bell pepper and cook for one minute.
- Stir in beans and black pepper. Add water to cover and simmer until heated through.
- Stir in cilantro right before serving.