Recipe by Susie in Texas
This recipe is said to have been a favorite of former President Lyndon B. Johnson. It is from Lone Star Legacy II, a cookbook by the Austin Junior Forum. My family likes this recipe because the vegetable juice is not as over-powering as canned tomatoes.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 6 (8 ounce) top round steaks, approximately
- 1 cup V8 vegetable juice
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 1 cup julienne sliced carrot
- 1 cup julienne sliced celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, simmer onion in 1 T. oil until golden.
- Remove pan from heat and add thyme.
- Season steaks with seasoned salt and black pepper then dredge steaks in flour.
- Using an iron skillet (or another skillet) brown steaks in 1 T.
- oil until nicely browned on both sides.
- Transfer steaks to skillet with onions and thyme.
- Pour V-8 juice and bouillon over steaks.
- Cover skillet and simmer slowly for 1 hour either on top of stove or in pre-heated 350 degree oven.
- After cooking for 1 hour, turn steaks over and cover steaks with the carrots and celery.
- Continue cooking for additional 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle parsley over top, when done.
- Serve over rice.