Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From a community cookbook that I removed and had in a pile. It says it's from The White House. Not sure what year but here it is. Note: 3-4 hrs. marination. Can bake or grill this easy recipe.* I have another version of this recipe called Chicken Oregano where you just rub the spices and lemon juice on a whole chicken, about 2 1/2 lbs.,inside and out, and then place in a 7 X 10 inch baking dish with 1 cup of water and 1/2 stick of butter. Bake at 400 degrees F. until golden brown and then lower oven to 350 degrees F. and bake for about 30-40 minutes longer, basting frequently. That recipe was from Katherine Beeson of the Azalia Garden Club, Marion, SC. I found the recipe again as a favorite of Mrs. Richard Nixon from Favorite Recipes of our First Ladies, 1971. It is called Barbacued Chicken in that book.
- 2 small broiler-fryer chickens, halved
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 2 lemons, juice of, reserved
- 4.92 ml garlic salt
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml oregano
- Combine butter, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Marinate chickens for 3-4 hours in this butter sauce.
- Grill, basting often with remainder of the sauce or you can bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked, basting often.
Yum! I used it on boneless skinless chicken thighs.I marinated them overnight then baked them for 25 minutes. The result was tender, yummy chicken. Thank you.
This chicken is great. I am not a fan of breast and it is even very moist.