Recipe by Sharon123
This is made at the White House by Chef Cristeta Comerford. I haven't made this yet, but have been looking for a broccoli soup that's yummy but healthy too. I have added the option of adding just a little cream if you like. Enjoy! The soup is a little thin, so I removed one of the cups of stock. Add it if you like it on the thin side.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
OUTSTANDING SOUP, for sure! As Annacia did, I added a little cornstarch to thicken it up, but other than that, followed your recipe ~ Well, I did substitute lemon pepper for the S&P, but otherwise . . . ! I really liked the inclusion of the leek & shallots, & it was nice to keep it veggie with the vegetable stock! Thanks for this keeper! [Made & reviewed for this month's VIP in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 20]
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 heads broccoli, stems sliced, and green tips reserved for puree
- 6 -7 cups vegetable stock (the original recipe calls for chicken stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium-size saucepan, over medium heat, add the garlic, shallots, leeks, onion and thyme. Sweat in the butter until fragrant.
- Add the broccoli stem slices and saute until softened.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bay leaf and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, blanch the broccoli tips in a pot of boiling water over medium heat until bright green. Remove the tips from the water and "shock" in a bowl of iced water.
- Drain the green tips and puree in a blender. Set aside.
- Puree the soup in a blender and strain through a fine chinoise into a large serving bowl. At this point, if you really want to, you could add about 1/4 cup cream.
- Add the green tip puree and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve piping hot.