Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is NOT a copycat recipe.....I'll take this over the 'real thing' anyday...but I found it after the local Don Pablo's closed and I was desperately searching for a 'copycat' of their White Chicken Chili (which is actually very good white chili!). ..... never found one that fit the bill, but my sister sent me this recipe and I fell in love with it. It has some similarity to the Don Pablo's version, but I actually find it to be so much more hearty and flavorful! I make this at least every couple of months now, no matter the time of year. It has a LOT of heat, but the sour cream added at the end helps tone it down. You can also use a milder pepper (could use mild green chilis, roasted, skinned and chopped) if you or yours are not fans of spicy food.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed (the smaller the better)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen white corn
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (or yellow bell pepper...or both!)
- 3 -4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 4 -6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (Don't forget to wear rubber gloves!)
- 1⁄2 cup beer (or white wine)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon white pepper (do not substitute!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (or cheddar)
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onions, and chicken. Sauté for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot combine chicken broth, cumin, coriander, ground white pepper, lime juice, jalapeno peppers and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. (The aroma of this soup base is very pungent -- don't let it scare you! Once it's all put together, the base blends beautifully with the other ingredients, mellows out a bit and creates a wonderful flavor.).
- Add the chicken, garlic, and onion mixture, plus the corn, beans, bell pepper, and beer.
- Cover and let simmer for approximately 30-35 minutes.
- When finished, remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and fresh cilantro.
- Garnish each bowl with the shredded pepper jack cheese and/or pico de gallo and serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
This was delicious. I had to sub a can of hominy for 1 can of the beans, and rice vinegar for the lime juice since I lacked those 2 ingredients. Still was great. The hominy actually gave it an interesting texture too. I'm glad that you warned us about the smell while cooking; my husband was put off by it, but pleasantly surprised when he tasted the final product. Thanks for a different white chili recipe. Will make it again!
Made this last weekend the whole family loved it.
I thought this was great. Loved the flavors. I used leftover chicken, wine and 2 jalapenos for half a recipe. I used pepper jack cheese and added 1/2 t. oregano and 1/8 t. cayenne.