Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Intriguing recipe from Mrs. Beeton's.
- 1 lb flour
- 1⁄2 lb butter, chilled and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 ounce ground ginger
- 1⁄2 a nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 118 ml milk, warmed slightly
- Rub the butter into the flour.
- Stir in the sugar, the minced lemon-zest, ginger and nutmeg; mix well.
- Make the milk just warm, stir into the mixture with the bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), and work the mixture into a nice smooth dough.
- Roll it out, cut it into shapes.
- Bake in a moderate oven(180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4) for 15 to 20 minutes.
These biscuits were fabulous! My daughters thoroughly enjoyed rolling, cutting and eating the dough! We don't like nutmeg very much so I added cinnamon instead. I halved the recipe but really wish I hadn't because we are already down to half a dozen biscuits. Those would have gone as well if it wasn't for the fact that I've had to hide some for DH to try when he comes home tonight!!