Recipe by Heather Sullivan
Intriguing recipe from Mrs. Beeton's.
Top Review by HappyBunny
These biscuits were fabulous! My daughters thoroughly enjoyed rolling, cutting and eating the dough! We don't like nutmeg very much so I added cinnamon instead. I halved the recipe but really wish I hadn't because we are already down to half a dozen biscuits. Those would have gone as well if it wasn't for the fact that I've had to hide some for DH to try when he comes home tonight!!
- 1 lb flour
- 1⁄2 lb butter, chilled and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 ounce ground ginger
- 1⁄2 a nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 118 ml milk, warmed slightly
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the butter into the flour.
- Stir in the sugar, the minced lemon-zest, ginger and nutmeg; mix well.
- Make the milk just warm, stir into the mixture with the bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), and work the mixture into a nice smooth dough.
- Roll it out, cut it into shapes.
- Bake in a moderate oven(180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4) for 15 to 20 minutes.