Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Interesting! Posted for Zaar World tour '07. Obtained from Recipe Goldmine.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 cup dried fig, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup candied lemon peel, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup candied citron peel, chopped
- 2 cups shredded coconut meat
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons rum
- 2 cups blanched almonds, chopped
- To the softened butter, gradually add the sugar, creaming well. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Sift the 1 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt and add to the above mixture alternately with the 1/2 cup of wine. Beat well.
- Combine all of the fruits and nuts and dredge in the 1/2 cup of flour. With the rum add the fruits and nuts to the batter, blending well. Line 2 loaf pans (9 x 5 x 3) or 2 tube pans with brown paper. Pour the batter into the pans, filling about 2/3 full. Decorate with candied fruits or nuts if you wish. Bake about 2 1/2 hours in a slow oven, 275 degrees F. (Place the baking pans in shallow pans 1/4 filled with water to prevent the cakes from scorching on the bottom while they bake.).
- Cool in pans on racks 20 to 30 minutes. Turn out. Remove brown paper. Return to racks and cool before storing.
- (I will probably wrap the cakes in rum soaked cheesecloth for 24 hours before storing or freezing.).