Prep 30 mins
Cook 720 hrs
Wonderful fruitcake soaked in peach brandy or pineapple juice. This is at least a 5 pound cake.
- 5 large eggs
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 lb candied cherry
- 1 lb candied pineapple
- 1⁄2 ounce vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 ounce rum extract
- 4 cups pecans
- Chop nuts and fruits into medium size pieces.
- Dredge with part of the flour.
- Cream butter with sugar until fluffy.
- Beat eggs well; add sugar and butter.
- Sift remaining flour and baking powder together.
- Fold into eggs and butter.
- Add flavorings to nut and fruit; mix.
- Pour into greased paper lined tube pan (or 2- 9x5 loaf pans.)
- Place in cold oven.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 3 hours.
- When done, take out of pan s) to cool or wire rack.
- After cool, wrap a smooth, clean dish towel around cake.
- Put into a plastic container that seals up well and pour 2-3 cups liquid (brandy or juice) over cake.
- Put lid on and store in refrigerator.
- Turn cake over every day so a different part of the cake is in the liquid.
- If the towel seems to dry out, pour on more liquid.
- After a week turn cake less frequently.
- Don't even think about cutting it until it has ripened at least a month.
- Yes, a month.