Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a fruitcake with a new twist to an old favorite...this recipe was given to me by a lady in 1972..can put in a can and cover with cheese cloth and pour your favorit wine over it and let it soak in the cake , you will love this so special fruitcake ..if you dont like fruitcake you will go wild with this one sosso good..
- cream butter well,add sugar,and cream until fluffy.
- beat eggs well and add,blend with creamed mixture.
- chop fruit and nuts and mix with a small amount of the flour.
- sift remaining flour.
- fold into creamed mixture.
- add flavoring.
- fold in fruits and nuts.
- line a tube pan or loaf pans with greased wax paper.
- pour in batter.
- put in a cold oven and bake at 200 degrees for 3 hours.
- loaf pans for 2 1/2 hours.
- cool in pan on rack.
- or bake at 300 degrees until done,about 1 1/2 hours, or until it shrinks from the pan.
- This cake can be frozen, it makes just a little less than 5 pounds, No liquid other than the flavorings is needed.
This is the best fruitcake. My mom has made this every year for Christmas and Thanksgiving since I was a child. People who hate "fruitcake" love this.. It is even better if you make it in advance and wrap tight and keep in a cake cover(I have a tupperware one). It gets so moist and yummy.
I only gave this 4 stars due to the fact that I thought it was a tad too sweet. Next time I make it (and I most definitely will) I will use less sugar (the fruit adds to the sugar content) and also will only use about 3 cups of pecans BUT it was a beautifully moist cake even though I used a square cake tin that was a bit too big and therefore the cake didn't rise a lot.