Prep 5 mins
Cook 16 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk (approx.)
- 1 firm white fish fillet, cut in strips
- lemon wedge
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Add egg and sufficient milk to mix to a smooth batter.
- Dip pieces of fish in mixture and fry in a large frying pan until golden on both sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve with lemon.
This is a good basic batter for fish. I think it is necessary to fry the pieces of fish until they are golden, as the recipe says. Otherwise, they might get soggy. I had more batter than I needed so I made fried onion rings. They are good, too. Edited to add that I think the amount of fish given in this recipe is incorrect. I think one fillet per diner, with this batter being enough for about 4, would work better. I will use this batter again.