Chef #357640 Mapleleaf 60's Note:
This recipe has been made in my family since my grandmothers days- I am not sure of the origins but it could be some fusion recipe - maybe it was my grandmothers own creation but its a favorite with our family. Any firm fleshed white fish can be used. This goes well with rice or pasta or just with some good hearty home made bread
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 firm white fish fillets (2 inches thick)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar or 1 1/2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 green chilies, chopped fine
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 cups water
- 1WASH AND PAT DRY THE FILLETS.
- 2In a medium deep skillet heat the oil on medium heat , add the garlic, the cumin seeds, green chillies and then add the flour and blend well , lower the heat and add the water and blend well so no lumps remain.
- 3Mix the vinegar with 1 cup of water add it to the mixture. Keep the heat gentle , now add the sugar or splenda and salt. and the remaining water the cumin powder-taste it to see if it has a tangy sweet taste, add more salt if required if it's too sour add a bit more of the sugar or splenda, the sauce should be of a thick consistency. If satisfied with the taste, slip in the fish fillets gently and let it simmer.Do not cover the skillet.
- 4Beat the egg in a bowl and keep ready.
- 5Once the fish is done, (should take 10 to 15 minutes only), slowly drizzle the beaten egg and kill the heat. Do not stir just let the egg mixture swirl on the fish mixing it into the sauce-- shaking the skillet or dish will allow the egg to incorporate into the sauce.
- 6If this dish is made and to be served later then DO NOT add the egg at this time , You can reheat the fish in the sauce and just before serving add the egg.
- 7Garnish with the fresh chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Whitefish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Fish Fillets in Sauce Made With White Vinegar
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.5
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 114.5 mg
- Sodium 97.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 20.2 g